Tuesday, October 9, 2007

So, you think it's expensive where you live?

*Truth in advertising? OR A WARNING???

Look closely at the name of the business- it's in the web address above the phone number. This realtor is located just 2 blocks from my apartment.
(click on the photo for a larger image)


I live in Seoul, South Korea... which was recently rated the 3rd most expensive city in the world and last year was rated 2nd most expensive city in the world. What happened this year? Was there a price reduction on something and I missed it?




I live in a high-rise. A basic 3 bedroom apartment. Nothing fancy... ok, there are security guards at the entrance.. but, notice I said: SECURITY GUARDS.. I did not say that we had a Bellman.. at the front door. (wait, a bellman is at a hotel, right? .. ok, what is that guy in fancy apartments in big cities that holds the door open for you, accepts delivery of packages, hails taxi's for you?)
*This is a question from someone who has never lived in a fancy apartment building in a big city in America. However, I have seen "The Jeffersons, Rhoda, and several movies that have shown fancy apartment buildings in big cities so.. I know that this job does exist.
Our 'security guard' will SOMETIMES buzz the door open for you if: YOU ARE ON CRUTCHES, have plastic bags hanging off both hands, and are trying to balance everything on one crutch while you 'try' to take your backpack off SO YOU CAN DIG FOR the key to open the door.. because, you didn't wear anything with pockets- for key storage that day...
*I was on crutches for 5 months last year.. and this might have happened to me several times.


Otherwise, the security guard sits inside on the other side of the glass and watches tv. So, although it is in a safe neighborhood and rent is EXTREMELY expensive... a bellman does not come with the rent.




Wanna know how much my rent is? HA HA.. you'd never believe it.. all, I can say is: THANK GOODNESS my employer pays my rent as part of my salary benefits of living overseas.. because my rent is way more than I make in a month (before taxes). It is so much that our apartment should come with a bellman and each apartment furnished with a butler like Mr. French on Family Affair.


FYI: I decided not to use the "Hi-RENT Realtor' when I signed the lease on my current apartment.


However, now that I think about it, maybe, I should have gone with Hi Rent Realtor? Maybe they provide a Mr. French, the butler, for each tenant's apartment?
PS.. There is one nice security guard and he does buzz the door open for me when he sees me at the door, most of the time. I think he recognizes me now- I have lived here for 2 years.

3 comments:

Zia said...

Hi, nice to hear from you and welcome to blogging land! :)

You don't have to apologize, getting used to how everything works takes a bit of time. The only way I have been able to do all the fancy things on mine is by going to the help pages, I know, I know... boring!

That was such a funny story about the 'mystery spice'!
But the nerve of that shop sign! It looked a little subliminal to me, mmmm... (hehe).

Hope we can be blogging (and knitting) buddies...

cheers,
Patrizia :D

Zia said...

Oh by the way... I have no clue if you can actually add a photo to the comments as I have never tried, but I noticed that you had this- [ missing at the beginning, and you added this - / just before the IMG. So I'm thinking if you add [ at the beginning and delete / at the end it might work. If it doesn't, I have no clue, but thanks for trying. You should post it on your blog! :D

Eccentric Scorpion said...

I know this is an old post and you'll probably not see this comment (I'm starting reading from the beginning :P) But the bellman you referred to is called a doorman. I've never lived in a fancy apartment building either, but they mentioned the doorman on Fraiser yesterday.