Monday, April 21, 2008

Wanna see more photos of Vietnam??

I bought some post-cards from this guy. I liked his 'resourceful' mode of transportation. I'm sure that he lost his limbs from a mine or the previous occupation of Vietnam and Cambodia.
*Click on the photos for a larger image..


Click on the photo and check out the name of the store.. pink and white sign.. I loved the 'pronounce it out' spelling.


Fancy dress version of the 'traditional dress'.. of Vietnam



I found Vietnam such an interesting place.. The next two photos are in front of the temple that was on the island that the red bridge led to in the previous posting.



Aren't these doors beautiful? I wish that I could have bought something like this and turned them into screens for my living room. Of course, even if I could find them-- they wouldn't fit in my one 40 pound suitcase that we were allowed to have..


A postal drop box. I tend to take photos of local phone booths or postal drops. I didn't see too many phone booths- and wasn't on the street so that I could take a photo of them when I did see them.


Hanoi was such a bustling, busy city, full of life. You could see the poverty, the sadness, but at the same time the reliance of the people too.

Interesting tidbit: Prices were quoted in American dollars... even on menus. No coins were given as change. They had small 'local' paper money that was given for change if the amount was less than one USA dollar.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Really nice pictures! I really like those clothes on the mannequins. I'd love to sew something like that, don't know what I'd do with it, but they are very pretty.

iwouldratherbeknitting said...

Yes, they were so pretty.. they are based on the traditional white clothing that used to be worn by females. Long flowing white tops over loose fitting white pants.

I can still remember seeing the photos of gals wearing these with the pointy straw hats in National Geographic or Life Magazine when I was a kid..

Strange that the straw hats and the women carrying the heavy laden baskets over their shoulders would continue-- while the white 'traditional clothing' would fade away from everyday wear.

susanc said...

I love seeing pics of different countries and cultures. Have you ever tried posting a card to yourself back in Korea? I think it would be neat to have postcards with the different countries' postmarks that you visit. Probably a dumb idea!

I just seems so amazing to me to think about all that has happened in Vietnam and how different things were when I was in jr. high school as far as attitudes and such. I'm glad the feelings have changed. Keep your wonderful pictures coming! Thanks so much for sharing with all of us.

lizzzknits said...

I have been enjoying your photos immensely and I am so jealous! I hope the photos I take on my two back to back vacations (California and Europe) are half as interesting!

iwouldratherbeknitting said...

Susanc.. I did mail myself a post-card from the Vatican once. They are their own 'postal system.'

lizzz.. just take photos of what strikes you as 'unusual, funny, or interesting.'

I've always done this.. and now, I have a place to show my photos to others who will apprecate them. :D

Of course, I realize that some might look at them and shake their heads.. hee hee but, that's ok.. I entertain myself. lol.. :D

Unknown said...

I'm loving all of the photo's your sharing :)