Sunday, July 13, 2008

Need a little bit of 'awe gee whiz' in your life?


Last week, I was visiting one of my friends, who just happened to also be a former college friend who still lives in the area that we attended college. She had a couple of friendly next-door neighbor cats that considered her yard as their personal yard. The female tabby considered herself the 'queen' of the yard and imposed her rule with a strong arm... as in: SMACK DOWN with this strong kitty arm to any other animal or cat that tried to visit the yard... oh, excuse me.. 'her kingdom!'

The queen cat was a very sweet cat to humans and was always looking for some extra head scratches and tummy rubs; however, this sweet nature only extended to the humans.

The second day that I was at my friend's house a skinny male grey tabby cat (a male version of the queen tabby cat) showed up. He was a 'talker' as in: he meowed a lot! Of course, the queen cat extended her 'non-welcome' towards him nor would she let him eat any of the kitty chow.

I gave the sweet male tabby his own food supply away from the 'queen cat.' He loved being petted and purred his thanks for the private food supply- even if he ate very little.

The male tabby disappeared for a couple of days and when he showed up on the third afternoon. He was hiding behind a bench in front of my friend's house 'meowing loudly' and I brought him some food to eat- that he barely touched. After he was finished, I picked him up and started petting him--- and noticed that he had two very large protruding places on his head and the area above his nose was also swollen. I could tell that either he had been hit with a car or he had been injured and the area had healed-- leaving infection and 'bad stuff' on the inside.

I told my friend that if she would take the kitty to the vet that I would pay for his medical care. So, we grabbed a towel (to wrap the kitty in it to prevent bad scratches to the human (ME) carrying the cat.) He did start freaking out in the car and started meowing loudly. When we got to the vet's office... there was a big yellow lab in the tiny waiting area. (Enough room for 4-5 people to sit down) So, I stood with the injured cat in my arms facing the corner of the room, in the hopes he wouldn't see the big dog and freak out more than he already was. Wouldn't you know it - that in the hour that we waited to be seen... that two more huge yellow labs came into the waiting area for their appointments?

My theory was correct- he did have really bad areas full of infection on his head that covered about an 4-5 inch area. The doctor had to cut the cat's head open, drain out the bad stuff... while I'm holding the cat down (w/ the one arm remember) By the time it was over, he was physically drained from fighting against us and of course was giving me the 'stare of hate' because all he knew was that I was the one that had brought him to this place of pain and injury.

We were given liquid antibiotics to give to the cat daily-- and the plan to put it in about 3 spoonfuls of tuna was a wise decision-- since, the doctor told us that this particular type of antibiotic was nasty tasting. My friend, gave the stray her garage area--- so, he'd not be attacked by the 'queen of the yard' cat... and also so she'd know where the cat was to give him his daily meds.

I made sure to visit with the cat several times that night in the garage, so that he'd be reassured and anyone (animal or human) needs some TLC after they've been sick or hurt. I scrambled him a egg for his dinner. I also found an old cat bed in the garage and placed the cat on the bed and in the kitty litter tray so, he'd know where they were located for later.

The next morning, after a night of restful sleep in his 'garage kitty hotel', the cat was feeling much better and had an regular kitty appetite again. He was thanking me the only way that a cat can... by purring and rubbing his head on my hand and my leg. The photo was taken the next morning. His little face/head is still swollen in this photo-- but, much, much less than it was when I took him to the doctor.

I had to leave and go to another location before all the meds were given to the cat- but, my friend tells me that he is doing so much better and continues to improve every day.

If I lived in the states- I would have adopted this cat. He has such a sweet personality. I'm so happy that my friend is going to keep him as one of her 'adopted' cats and she'll take him to get his 'surgery' when he gets well.

4 comments:

Renna said...

God bless you for meeting the needs of one of His creatures! He is a lovely cat, to be sure.

iwouldratherbeknitting said...

Thank you... if I lived in the states- I would have taken him as my cat. I adored him and he had such a sweet personality and he knew that I had helped him.

Mulderknitter said...

What a sweetheart, both you and the little guy! He sure looks comfy there in the bed!

HODGEPODGESPV said...

good girls! even cats need help and love...and adoption.