Monday, March 1, 2010

Freak "SLEET" BLIZZARD

March 1... the beginning of warmer weather for some... spring just around the corner and all that...

Except apparently not here.. in my little corner of BAVARIA, GERMANY!

This morning, I left for work at my usual time.. it was 'sort of sprinkling'.. not enough to worry about with an umbrella. I started the Jeep and drove away. By the time that I was on the main highway... it had started sleeting and raining..

Within moments.. it was sleeting heavy! I mean.. so heavy that the road was white (and getting slick), the hood of the Jeep was solid white, and I had the windshield wipers on full blast.. but, it still wasn't fast enough to remove the sleet from the windows so that I could see!!!

I drove for about 8 miles in this freak 'sleet blizzard'... turned off this highway onto the next highway and the last 4-5 miles of my route to work.

In less than a mile.. the sleet stopped, the roads were dry, and the gauge on the Jeep's dash showed that the outside temperatures had now crept above freezing.

Very surreal.. is the best description that I can give because.. Within 2 miles the sun was shining (very unusual for Germany at this time of the year) and no evidence that a freak 'sleet blizzard' had ever happened.

No comments: